One of my first supervisors at The Container Store was Mary G. – an employee who has been with the company for more than 18 years. To this day she’s my go-to mentor for all things. I refer to Mary as our “Iron Hand of Love” because she absolutely holds everyone accountable for how they show up to work in the Distribution Center.
Last year, Mary developed a leadership workshop that she gave to a group of Store Replenishment employees. It was so incredibly inspiring! She hands out a small bag that contains the following tools:
- Candle – To be the light when someone is having a dark day.
- Bubble gum – Stick to it and you can accomplish anything.
- Notepad – To jot down your big ideas.
- Erasers – Everyone makes mistakes. We know. That’s okay.
- Toothpick – Pick the good in everyone, including yourself!
- Band-aid – To heal hurt feelings, either yours or someone else’s
- Smiley-face sticker – To remember your impact on those you help.
This is just one example of the help, inspiration and quality dear Mary brings to all under her wing. Fortunately for us all, she has big wings!